The following information has been extracted from a number of sources including Alumni Oxonienses, on the assumption that the wrong William Gibson is associated with the Rectory of Thorley in Alumni Cantabrigienses .
William Gibson was the son of Edmund Gibson, who
was consecratedBishop of Lincoln on 12 February 1716 and translated to London on 4 May 1723, where he served until his death on 6 September 1748.
William entered Christ Church, Oxford, in 1733 at the age of 16, and was awarded the degree of B.A. in 1737, that of M.A. on 24 April 1740, and both that of B.D. and D.D. some eleven years later, on 14 May 1751.
He was collated a Prebendary of St Paul's Cathedral on 8 September 1741, transferring from the stall funded by the Prebendal Manor of Rugmere to that by Cantlers on 24 June 1742.
William was installed as Rector of Thorley on 27 November 1742. He resigned from Thorley sometime before 18 March 1745, when he was succeeded as Rector by John Horsley, having himself been installed Rector of St Botolph's, Bishopsgate in 1743.
William resigned as a Prebendary of St Paul's in 1746, in which year he was admitted a Prebandary of St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle. He was appointed Archdeacon of Essex on 6 February 1747.
William died on 31 October 1752 and was succeeded at St Boltoph's by Thomas Ashton.
Return to St James' Rectors