St James the Great, Thorley

Parish Registers

The written records of St James the Great, Thorley, date from 1539, one year after Thomas Cromwell, Vicar General of King Henry VIII, ordered that each parish should keep a register to record details of baptisms, weddings and burials weekly.

Completed registers may be viewed at the Hertford Record Office ( Reference D/P 108 ) and current registers at the parish office by prior arrangement.

The following links are to pages that present those portions of the registers that have been transcribed into electronic format. Entries are in date order, and may be searched using a web browser's 'Find' function.

In the case of Baptisms and Marriages, a General Register Office (GRO) reference is given in the 'Notes' column where a corresponding registration has been identified. Such registrations commenced on 1 July 1837.

In the case of Burials, the location of the interment , in terms of Churchyard section, row and plot (as defined in the Guide to the Use of the Database of Churchyard Monuments) is given in the 'Notes' column where the register entry has been checked against this database. It is worth searching the Database of Churchyard Monuments when no location is indicated.

Guide to the Transcription of Parish Registers

Home Page | Church Guide | Diary of Events | Festival of Flowers and Music | From the Archives | Recent Events | Reports | Souvenirs | Links | Site Map